John Wayne is the Duke. Elvis is the King.

John Wayne's Holster: Student Defies Book Ban
John Wayne's Holster
Visit my main blog at Monkey Wrench Revival. Visit my birdwatching blog at The Birding Nerd.

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Student Defies Book Ban


Source: Flickr.com

Saw this story while surfing - "Kid Keeping a Lending Library of Banned Books in Her Locker". This is the kind of thing that makes America great and gives me hope.

Here is an exerpt:
A school friend asked to borrow off him The Catcher in the Rye, one of the books in the banned list, and one thing led to another..." This happened a lot and my locker got to overflowing with the banned books, so I decided to put the unoccupied locker next to me to a good use. I now have 62 books in that locker, about half of what was on the list.

Full story can be found HERE

I found it odd that some of the listed books were banned, especially in light of the fact that I read several of them while a student at Monsignor Bonner High School in Drexel Hill, PA. Books such as Catcher in the Rye, Lord of the Flies, Catch-22 and Animal Farm. Several others I have read independently, including two of my favorites, A Picture of Dorian Gray and Slaughterhouse Five.

Here is a link containing a list of banned books. The list was compiled by the American Library Association, and contains some insightful commentary as to why some of the listed books are/were banned.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home