John Wayne is the Duke. Elvis is the King.

John Wayne's Holster: A House Built on Sand Has No Foundation
John Wayne's Holster
Visit my main blog at Monkey Wrench Revival. Visit my birdwatching blog at The Birding Nerd.

Saturday, March 17, 2007

A House Built on Sand Has No Foundation


Is McCain Presidential Material?

Although the election is still more than a year away, many politician have already thrown their hats into the ring for a chance to succeed GW Bush. On the left, the race appears to be between Hillary and Obama. On the right, its Guiliani and McCain.

In the coming months, the voters are going to have to chose which candidate is going to represent their party. The voters want a candidate that most closely shares their political ideology. Beyond that, they will be looking for a candidate with strong leadership skills. They will also be looking for someone who stands up for what they believe in.

So exactly who is John McCain and what does he believe in? In general, he would best be described as someone who is a luke-warm conservative who shoots from the left. That being said, he is not as far left as Guiliani. That is something that may be in his favor if it comes to a head-to-head match-up between he and Rudy.

That being said, McCain also has a weak side. He lacks the charisma and leadership that Rudy seems to emanate. Moreover, McCain has a knack for testing the wind before deciding what he believes in. That is not going to far well with a lot of voters who will perceive him as being unprincipled and weak.

On Friday, McCain was on the campaign trail in the mid-west. He was fielding questions from reporter during a bus ride through Iowa. One of the reporters questioned McCain about his position on the "…the distribution of taxpayer-subsidized condoms in Africa to fight the transmission of HIV." McCain responded with an awkward pause before summoning his press secretary to his side to find out just where it was he stood on the issue.

What? Are you kidding?

Actually, I am not. McCain did not seem to know how to answer the question. Following a rambling serious of non-commital statements, McCain stated, " I haven’t thought about it. Before I give you an answer, let me think about. Let me think about it a little bit because I never got a question about it before."

The reporter then began pushing McCain on related issues, asking him about his general position on contraceptives and abstinence. McCain again hedged on his answer stating, “ Ahhh. I think I support the president’s policy.

What? You think…?

Or maybe he does no where he stands but was reluctant to answer truthfully after licking his finger and sticking it in the air.

Either way, McCain’s gotta do better than that. After all, the guy is running for President. How can he expect people to put their faith in him if he doesn’t have the cajones to tell us what he beleives in? Or even worse, maybe he is not sure where he stands?

McCain has some time to get his act together, because this incident will probably pass by unnoticed by most voters, who seems to have the attention span of a kid who watched too much TV as a toddler.

But I noticed!

As I am a registered Independent, I guess I have no say in the matter because I can not vote in the Republican primaries. I do however vote Conservative, so I may eventually have the opportunity to put my two cents in. At this point, I have not decided which candidate I would support. But I do know a few things. For starters, my candidate won't be a liberal. And they won't be named Guiliani or McCain.

2 Comments:

At 11:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joe:
You have been active lately!

Personally, I like McCain and I'm leaning towards him this election. That being said, some of his moves are troubling at best. He is looking more and more Kerryesque. I definitely don't like Giuliani and Newt, who I once thought would be a good candidate, is losing my support.

This election looks tailor made for the democrats. I hate to say it but we could be writing about president Clinton in 2 years. There is no strong conservative candidates that I can support.

Do you have any candidates in particular that have you interested?

Roy

 
At 12:35 PM, Anonymous Joe Verica said...

Hey Roy

Thanks for the comments.

I have been active on the blog recently. The wife and kids went to Taiwan for Chinese New Year so I had plenty of free time on my hands...


As far as the election goes, it does look scary at this point. I would dread to see a liberal democrat in the White House - one like Hillary or Obama. A Southern democrat or a Lieberman type would not be as bad, but I would still rather see a conservative.

As for candidates, I am undecided. I definately don't like Rudy or McCain, although if I had to choose between the two I would lean towards McCain. The other declared repubs don't do anything for me. They are all kind of wishy-washy. There are a few potential candidates that I might think about supporting if they ever throw their hat into the ring.

Beleive it or not, I like what I have heard so far from Newt. C-SPAN showed his Coopers Union speech from a week or so back. I was pretty impressed. That being said, I am not convinced he would be an electable candidate. Although not as polarizing as Hillary, I think he has rubbed a lot of people on the left the wrong way. He also has some baggage from his personal life. He is on his thrid marriage. He was having an affair with his current wife while still married to his previous one. Not sure how well that will go over with the evangelicals.

Anyway, that is where I stand at the moment. I will certainly be looking to see if someone else emerges from the GOP. Preferably someone more conservative and less like W.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home