John Wayne is the Duke. Elvis is the King.

John Wayne's Holster: Meet "Interesting" People at myspace.com
John Wayne's Holster
Visit my main blog at Monkey Wrench Revival. Visit my birdwatching blog at The Birding Nerd.

Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Meet "Interesting" People at myspace.com



What's the Deal with myspace.com? I had never heard of it until a few weeks back. And now I read this report that claims myspace is the #1 web site - accounting for 4.5% of all internet visits in the US.

Where the heck have I been? I do try to make some effort to keep up with the times. I finally replaced my entire album collection with CDs - the part that was worth replacing anyway. I tossed my Walkman and upgraded to an iPod. I even got a cell phone this past Christmas – although I am not quite sure what for. I do not have that many friends and the ones that I do have I don’t feel any pressing need to speak with every spare moment I have.

When it comes to computers, I have always been “with the times”. Or at least I thought so. I started surfing the internet shortly after Al Gore finished inventing it. And now I have this soapbox – the blog. But myspace? What's that?

I decided to find out about myspace by calling my younger brother. Surely he would know. He did! He said it was a great way to keep in touch with friends and a good vehicle for meeting other people with similar interests. I can supposedly use if to share my banjo music. And who knows, he said I might even get lucky and meet someone who actually "likes" me – if you know what I mean.

Now we're talking! That sounds great. I can do all that by simply setting up one website? I gotta see this. Being somewhat cautious, I checked out my brother's myspace page first. It seemed pretty cool. He had a picture of himself with all the vital stats that enquiring minds and the sexually desperate might find interesting. He had a few pics of his dog, his girlfriend of the month, and a whole ”friends section” with photos and emails from all the cool people he knows in the cycling world. He even piped in some Peter Yorn music for entertainment, which I thought was quite considerate.

This myspace thing looked pretty cool, so I decided to give it a try. After all, what do I have to loose? I might be able to catch up with old friends, and perhaps find a few new ones. Of course there is the whole romance thing as well. Don’t get me wrong, I am not currently in the market for “love”, and I am certainly not trolling cyberspace looking to set up some wonderfully sleazy fling. I just figure that it doesn’t hurt to start laying the ground work and sending out a few feelers in case I should ever find need to thrust myself back into the dating scene. Besides, it sure beats placing one of those pathetic personal ads in the back pages of the San Francisco Bay Guardian.

So I made the commitment and set up my own personal page at myspace (which I have since deleted). Within an hour of setting the page up, I had a slew of email from other myspacers requesting to “be my friend”. What? So soon? This is great - or so I thought.

Over the past few weeks, I have been receiveing emails from my "new friends" Rocco and Jamie, inviting me to participate in all sorts of adventures. Do I want to go hiking? Do I enjoy swimming? Do I want a free mustache ride? Huh? They also sent me some links in case I should want to see a picture of “what they are made of”. What?...click...Aaaahh, my eyes!

Now I feel unsubstantial and inadequate.

On the bright side, I got similar emails from my other new friend, Yolanda. I bookmarked the links she sent - as an example of decandence of course. I look at them every now and again, until I seem to suddenly loose interest.

As it stands now, I am not sure about this whole myspace thing. I can't figure out how it became to #1 web site in the US. It seems more like a hang-out for perverts and sexual predators. It does not seem to be serving its intended purpose. I have not really caught up with any old friends, and the new “friends” I have met I could probably do without.

3 Comments:

At 9:14 PM, Anonymous M3 said...

cool blog. Myspace is really extreemly addicting... I have friends on there from childhood to present day, its really kind of cool to be able to go to one place and check up on everyone// read their updates.

www.regularjane.blogspot.com

 
At 12:40 PM, Anonymous Roy said...

Put me down for firmly against Myspace. While I have heard of it and I know people who use it, it is for perverts or people fishing for love. Plus, I don't need any more friends than I currently have which is about, uhhh 1 or 2. Hell I can barely find the time to call them so the last think I need is a slew of emails from people expecting a response. But hey, different strokes for different folks.

 
At 4:22 PM, Anonymous theolderone said...

You're too old for this site. It is for young teenage type people. So go sit on the porch and play the banjo before you hurt yourself ,or lie a little and join AARP.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home