John Wayne is the Duke. Elvis is the King.

John Wayne's Holster: Passing the Buck on Parental Responsibility
John Wayne's Holster
Visit my main blog at Monkey Wrench Revival. Visit my birdwatching blog at The Birding Nerd.

Friday, March 10, 2006

Passing the Buck on Parental Responsibility



The National Center for Men filed a lawsuit Thursday in the U.S. District Court in Michigan. The lawsuit, which is being dubbed as Roe v. Wade for Men, is aimed at extending the rights of the father in cases of an unwanted pregnancy. The bottom line of the argument, as reported by CNN, is this: If a pregnant woman can choose among abortion, adoption or raising a child, a man involved in an unintended pregnancy should have the choice of declining the financial responsibilities of fatherhood.

The suit was filed on behalf of Matt Dubay, who contends that his girlfriend repeatedly told him she could not get pregnant due to a “physical condition”. Well, lo and behold, the girlfriend got pregnant and now has a child. Dubay is currently responsible for paying $500.00 per month in child support. He feels that he shouldn’t have to pay it, and essentially wants the right to opt out of his moral and financial responsibilities for his child.

Let me get my soapbox and a bullhorn. I don't mean to sound like Jerry Falwell here, for I too have committed my share of moral transgressions. But I also had to pay a price for them. Not so for most people.

This lawsuit is ridiculous and shamelessly selfish. Most legal scholars do not feel that the National Center for Men has any chance of winning the lawsuit. I tend to agree. However, the fact that this suit is even being brought to court is nauseating and is a sign that something is dreadfully wrong with the values of our society.

No one wants to be responsible for their actions!

I remember once as a young lad, I drank a few too many shots of Jameson’s at a St. Paddy’s Day party. The next morning, I was “a little green under the gills”, and could not get out of bed. My mother forced me to get up and get my ass out the door to school. Her mantra that morning still rings in my ears – “If you wanna dance, you gotta pay the piper!” It was an important lesson that I never forgot.

It comes down to responsibility. Licentiousness is rampant in our society. Everyone wants to have fun, but no one wants to take responsibility for their actions. It suppose that it is just easier to be irresponsible.

This lawsuit is right up that alley. It represents an undrlying attitude among many men and women in regard to their parental responsibilities. Too many people treat sex as a recreational activity. People are having relations with others that they don’t particularly care for personally – or even worse - people that they do not even know. When a pregnancy results, many women opt out on their responsibilities by seeking abortions. If the woman chooses to have the child, the father may skip town or otherwise neglect his responsibilities toward the child. In recent years, courts have made efforts to track down the so-called “dead-beat dads” and force them to live up to their financial responsibilities.

Now the National Center for Men is seeking to take this issue to the next step – by legally allowing men to opt out of their financial responsibilities for children they do not want. They are essentially taking the Pro-Choice argument to the next level by giving men some say in a decision regarding parenthood.

Personally, I think the whole lawsuit, as well as the whole abortion issue, are both abhorrent. The child in these cases is being treated as if it were a thing, rather than a human person. If people insist on being Pro-Choice, they should make that choice before they pull their pants down.

1 Comments:

At 11:46 AM, Anonymous Roy said...

Joe,
You sure have a keen eye for interesting stories.

Let me be clear. I completely agree with your premise. Pregnancies don't just happen. It is not an accident when a guy impregnates a female.

I am not religious but I do believe in accountability. I get frustrated because the females have been allowed to hijack family and courts have given them complete control over "their body." Never mind that "their body" has its own heart, lungs, brain, etc... I would like this case to expose the contradictions in the current system. This is why I believe it is a good case to bring, this discussion needs to happen sooner rather than later.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home