John Wayne is the Duke. Elvis is the King.

John Wayne's Holster: Bang! Bang! Bang! Who’s There?
John Wayne's Holster
Visit my main blog at Monkey Wrench Revival. Visit my birdwatching blog at The Birding Nerd.

Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Bang! Bang! Bang! Who’s There?



When I was a kid, we used to have a sign in the front window of our house. The sign had a picture of a hand pointing a pistol at the reader. The sign read “Never Mind the Dog. Beware of Owner!” Needless to say, our house was never robbed.

Every person should have the right to self-defense. They should be able to protect themselves and their families by whatever means necessary – including deadly force! Unfortunately, that is not always the case. Many states require victims of crimes to withdraw from their attackers rather than defending themselves. Those that do not withdraw risk the chance of criminal prosecution if they kill or seriously injure their perpetrators. I know it sounds ridiculous, but that is the law. Fortunately, the tide is beginning to turn.

A dozen or so states have so-called “castle statutes” on the books. Castle statues essentially allow citizens to use deadly force to protect themselves and their families against intruders in their home. A handful of states are expanding the right of self-defense to public places. Florida was the first state to do so. South Dakota and Indiana recently followed suit. Fifteen other states, including my home state of Pennsylvania, have similar bills under consideration.

Under these new public self-defense laws, a person who is the victim of a crime in a public place has the right to use deadly force to fend of any unlawful entry or attack. In addition, the measures grant immunity from prosecution to those who use deadly force under such circumstances. These laws "make it very clear that the good guy has the advantage, not the bad guy," says Wayne LaPierre of the National Rifle Association.

Personally, I am glad to see this expansion of our rights for self-defense. The liberals in this country, led by groups like the ACLU, have worked diligently to erode our rights. It has gotten to the point where the criminals seem to have more rights and protections than honest citizens. Many citizens are fed up! We are demanding our rights. And that starts with the right to defend ourselves.

2 Comments:

At 4:03 PM, Anonymous Al said...

Amen, Joe.

 
At 12:13 PM, Anonymous Roy said...

I think if someone is in my house uninvited then it goes without saying that my life is in danger. If a state does not have this law then am I suppossed to wait for him to try and kill me or my family before I shoot him? Yeah right! If I was on a jury I would not convict someone for killing an intruder.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home